Prep Time: 3-12 hrs. || Cook Time: 15 min. || Difficulty: Medium
- Ingredients for Chicken:
- 1 Lb. of Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 Cups Self-Rising Flour
- 2 Tbsp. Confectioners Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Black Pepper
- 2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Pickles Juice
- 1 Cup Tabañero Extra Hot Sauce
- 3 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Water
- Oil for Frying
- Ingredients for Waffles:
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp. White Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 3/4 Cup Lukewarm Milk
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Ingredients for Tabañero Honey
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 1/4 Cup Tabañero Extra Hot Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Melted Butter
- Cut chicken breast into 1 oz. pieces, then combine with pickle juice and 1 cup of Tabañero Extra Hot Sauce to make a brine for the chicken. Marinate the chicken in the brine for 3-12 hours.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and water. Reserve for later.
- In another medium bowl, combine black pepper, garlic powder, salt, confectioners sugar, and 1 cup flour.
- Dip the chicken pieces into the egg/water mixture, then coat evenly with the flour mixture.
- Add oil to a large stock pot (about half full) and heat to 360 degrees, using an oil thermometer to check the temperature.
- Add the coated chicken to the oil carefully and cook until the outside is golden brown and crispy. This usually takes about 4 minutes.
- Once cooked, place the fried chicken on a paper towel to drain off excess oil.
- Pre-heat your waffle iron. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then add in lukewarm milk and vanilla until the mixture is well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir. Stir enough to combine thoroughly, allowing a few lumps.
- The amount of mixture used per waffle will vary depending on the size of your waffle iron, so pour the mixture onto your waffle iron keeping its size in mind. Let the waffle cook until golden brown and crisp.
For Tabañero Honey:
- In a small saucepan, combine honey, Tabañero Extra Hot Sauce, and melted butter. Cook on low heat until the ingredients are completely mixed. Serve with chicken and waffles.