Shredded Duck Confit Torta
- 4 duck Legs
- 1 (12 oz) jar of duck fat
- Olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 oz + 1⁄2 tablespoon Tabañero Spicy Agave hot sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 bolillo roll or torta bun, toasted
- 1 cup romaine hearts, shredded
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
2. PREHEAT your oven to 350oF.
3. PLACE the duck legs in a stock pot and cover with the duck fat. If needed, add olive oil until the legs are completely covered.
4. BRING the pot to a simmer, cover with foil, and cook it in the oven until the duck is tender, approximately 2 to 3 hours.
5. CHILL the duck in the fat until cool. Remove the legs and shred the meat into a mixing bowl, discarding the bones and reserving the duck fat.
6. SEASON the meat with the brown sugar, 3 oz of Tabañero Spicy Agave hot sauce, oregano, garlic powder, cumin and coriander, and mix well.
7. USE the reserved duck fat to sear the shredded duck on a skillet or plancha until it’s crispy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. COMBINE the remaining Tabañero Spicy Agave hot sauce and the mayonnaise in a small bowl, then spread it on the toasted buns.
9. PLACE the seared duck on the bun and top with pickled onions, avocado, shredded romaine and cilantro.