- 1⁄2 lb pancetta, diced
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3⁄4 lb frozen cooked crawfish bodies, thawed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon Tabañero Extra Hot hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 11⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1⁄2 inch pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- Tabañero Extra Hot hot sauce for dipping
2. REMOVE the pancetta, leaving the fat in the pan, and return to the heat. Add the onion, pepper and celery and sauté, stirring occasionally until the onion is translucent, about 6 minutes.
3. ADD the paprika, garlic powder, oregano, thyme and flour, cooking for 30 seconds. Add the crawfish and cooked pancetta, stirring to combine. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, then stir in the Tabañero Extra Hot hot sauce and cream.
4. COMBINE the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Cut in the butter using your hands so the mixture is crumbly. Add just enough cold water until the dough comes together, about 1 cup.
5. DIVIDE the dough into 2-inch balls and roll them out into 4 1⁄2-inch circles. Lay the circles onto a lightly-floured baking sheet.
6. HEAT your oven to 375 F.
7. MOISTEN the outer edge of a dough round with water, then spoon 2 tablespoons of filling into the middle. Fold the dough in half to form an empanada, pressing the edges together. Fold over the edge and finish by pinching little pleats. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
8. PLACE the empanadas on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and brush with egg. Bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes.